Laguna/Acoma High School is a 128,000 sf building on 100 acres. The project represents successful cooperation between the Pueblo of Laguna, which contributed land and utilities, and Grants Cibola County Schools, which contributed construction dollars from bonds and State capital outlay awards.
The Laguna Acoma Task Force represents two pueblos, three Hispanic Land Grant communities and school administration and staff. The school is organized around a central courtyard with a “village” concept. The Media Center, Computer Commons and Administration frame the west side of the courtyard. A central Lobby welcomes visitors and is a tall and visible form facing the approaching highway, bus drop-off and visitor parking lot. The Performance area is a large four-tiered multi-purpose room with the “stage” doubling as a chorus room. The Band/Orchestra room is adjacent to the “stage” and separated by shared music offices and music library.
The Cafeteria/Kitchen is a large area at the northeast side of the courtyard. The courtyard has ample landscaping, shade trees and trellis structure and is designed to accommodate students sitting, eating and socializing during lunch and between classes. The courtyard concept has also reduced the amount of built square footage dedicated to circulation.
Also included are a 1200 seat gymnasium, locker rooms, ROTC program space, vocational education, Computer graphics/drafting and home economics programs. The newly complete stadium and bleachers provide a venue for sporting, and track and field events.