NEW MEXICO STATE UNIVERSITY
Gardiner Hall is located on the campus of New Mexico State University (NMSU) in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Gardiner Hall consists of two buildings. The first building, 23,600 s.f., constructed in 1955, is two stories with a partial basement. The second building, 32,518 s.f., constructed in 1967, is three stories with a full basement.
NMSU relocated the geology department into these buildings along with the physics department. The existing buildings required full renovation and were required to be LEED Silver certified. The existing buildings were evaluated for mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems. An environmental assessment was conducted and analyzed asbestos containing materials as well as lead, mercury, and PCB’s. The results of these studies helped determine the final scope of the renovation. The buildings were also be evaluated for accessibility and compliance with the Existing International Building Code.
The program contained general classrooms, offices and a series of dry and wet laboratories flexible enough to accommodate classes in each of the disciplines. As a result of the program requirements, the existing chilled water and hot water campus loops were utilized. Mechanical systems used included a VAV hot water system with reheat, fan coil units, and an extensive lab exhaust system. These systems achieved the Governor’s mandate of 50% energy reduction and LEED Silver Certification.